top of page
Lacivita (4).png

Burn Program

Please note that appointments are highly encouraged. Contact Andrew at (509) 553-3032

or to schedule an appointment.

Almost all agricultural burning requires a permit and can only be done outside of a fire/burn ban. Field and Spot Burning Permits may be purchased at the Palouse CD office. Applications can be filled out at the office or printed off from the links below. Burn Permit hours are 8:30 am - 4:30 pm Monday - Friday. Please call the office and make an appointment ahead of time. Remember to bring your field maps of desired burn locations.

How to Apply for a Burn Permit: 


Print out, complete, and sign your application (see links below for what you need). We cannot process a burn permit without this application first. 


Create a map of where the burn will be. It is easy to print off the area on Google Maps and circle the burn zone with a pen or highlighter. 


Contact PCD either via email or phone. You have the option to email your completed application or drop it off at our office at an agreed upon time. 


Pay for your permit either by check (when you drop off the application) or over the phone. We cannot approve your permit until we receive payment. If you mail the check, please expect a delay for permitting approval.


PCD will process your permit online and email or mail your completed permit.  Once you have received this you are ready to burn. 


Field burning: $37.50 first 10 acres; $3.75 for each additional acre

Spot burning: $37.50 for 10 acres or less

Pile burning: $80 for first 80 tons; $1.00 for each additional ton

You do not need a permit for:

  • Fence rows

  • Ditch banks

  • Irrigation canals

  • Annual orchard prunings

  • Windblown tumbleweeds

​You do need a permit for:

  • Post-harvest field and crop residue

  • Vineyard and orchard tree tear-outs

  • Cereal grain stubble

  • Small spots in fields

  • Bales

  • Orchard and field flaming

burnzone map.png

Make sure to review the Burn Zone Map to confirm your location and standards.


Don't forget to file your post-burn report (blue card) online:

Post Burn Report - Blue Card

Baled Residue: 

Burning broken, mildewed, diseased, or pest-ridden bales from 10 acres or less, or a maximum equivalent of 2 tons per acre. This permit cannot be used for field burning or spot burning.


 Burning on farmland that is being preserved for wildlife habitat (supplemental application). You must also get a field burn permit.


Burning crop residue and cereal grain stubble (wheat, barley, corn, and oats) after harvest to reduce excess plant material. This includes flaming, used for weed control in organic farming.


Burning piled-up agricultural vegetation on land that is going to stay in agriculture. Includes orchard tear-out. Also used for a documented pest emergency. For flaming, use the Field Permit application.


Burning areas that are 1/2 acre or less, up to a total of 10 acres per year, such as:

  • Small weed patches

  • Spots of heavy residue

  • Equipment plugs and dumps

bottom of page